Rowan Jude Hanson.

My doctor (and my gut) was pretty convinced Rowan was going to arrive early, estimating around 38 weeks. Due to my preclampsia I had with Brennan, and some cervical issues, it wasn’t likely I’d carry him longer then that. At my 34 week ultrasound everything still looked great so we were just waiting to see if I’d actually need to be induced or not.

Well apparently Row had other plans…

It was Memorial Day, and started off like any other morning. Patrick was home from work so we were taking B out to enjoy our first sunny day we’d had in a while. Fed the ducks, went to the splash pad, played in the backyard. I was feeling fine the entire time!

All our family came over that afternoon for a BBQ we were hosting. While Brennan was being Brennan, he put a box over his face and was running around the house and ran straight into the entryway table. I jumped up and picked him up, when I felt a small gush of water. I wasn’t sure exactly what it was, as I had been feeling those for a few days (thinking it was just my bladder) however this one was a bit more intense. Everyone convinced me to call the oncall doctor and she  said I better come in and have them check if it’s amniotic fluid or not.

Well I was feeling fine so I told Patrick we could go after dinner and B was asleep. During dinner, a toast to Memorial Day, and a few laughs later, an even larger gush came and I had to jump up an excuse myself from the table (lovely, I know). We decided it was time to go!

Timing couldn’t have been better as all B’s grandparents were there to take care of him for us, but I still was convinced it was nothing, so we gave B a quick kiss goodbye telling him we were just going to the store and off to labor & delivery we went. (Pretty sure he will never let me go to the store again!)

When we got there we checked into triage and as they put me in a room to test for amnioic fluid, but by that time there wasnt much need for a test, as they were pretty certain my water was broken. They confirmed, told us we were having a baby in the next 24 hours, and checked us into our room…

DSC_1523 DSC_1535 DSC_1528

DSC_1542 DSC_1525DSC_1536 DSC_1537DSC_1539  DSC_1544

It was a long, boring, stormy night. The worst flooding Houston had seen in decades. But Row was just hanging out in there. I was having zero contractions, but since my water was broken they wouldn’t let me walk around, we just had to wait it out. And wait, and wait, and wait. At least Patrick and I had my mom and Tess to keep us company, and played silly games until around midnight.

The next morning, around 7am my doctor was back on call, and she decided to start pitosin to get my contractions to speed up. They started with a very small amount, but ended up increasing it each hour since he was being a stubborn little guy. I received my epidural around 5cm and was ready to get this show on the road. DSC_1546 

 Around noon, we were dilating quickly now and at 2pm we were ready to go! Doctor and nurses came in, 6 pushes later and our little man was here!!! Born at 2:32pm. Easiest labor ever.

DSC_1552 DSC_1551 DSC_1550 DSC_1556 DSC_1560 DSC_1563  DSC_1574

Rowan Jude Hanson. 7lb, 9oz – 21.5″ long. A big, healthy premie with zero health issues so far! We are so blessed as Brennan had a much harder time being born early.DSC_1583 DSC_1584 DSC_1588 DSC_1594DSC_1597 DSC_1604 DSC_1608 DSC_1610 DSC_1612

They monitored his blood sugar throughout the night and gave him his keratin shots, he was such a trooper though all the pokes and pricks. However, he hated being unswaddled and messed with more!




Day 2 – I had a super easy recovery and was already feeling back to myself. It took a longgggg time for me to feel better after I had B, but this one was a breeze. Zero complications, no swelling and i finally got my energy back! My RA did flare up instantly but I was able to start my medications right away so its been much easier to manage so far.

DSC_1627 DSC_1628 DSC_1629 DSC_1632 DSC_1636

Rowan is such a happy, snuggly baby. All he does is eat and sleep. It has made this transition form one kid, to two extremly easy.

DSC_1637DSC_1643 DSC_1645

Patrick picked up Brennan after school and brought him by to see mommy & meet his new baby brother. I think my heart exploded having both my boys here together for the first time. Brennan was extremely curious about his brother at first, but then just wanted to sit in “mommy’s bed” and relax. Didn’t last long however. He then proceeded to page the nurses three time and escape down the hallway. Needless to say, our visit was short but I was so excited to go home the next day!


We were discharged by day 3. Row passed all his premie tests and we didn’t need to come back. Couldn’t wait to get home and start our life as a family of four!DSC_1665 DSC_1666 DSC_1671 DSC_1673 DSC_1674  

2 thoughts on “Rowan Jude Hanson.

  1. lydialindeman June 17, 2015 / 11:58 am

    what a beautiful life story!! Iam so blessed to be able to help bring another one of you angels into this world..thank you for letting be part of it all..Iam a Ma again!!

  2. Celena June 17, 2015 / 3:56 pm

    Beautiful birth story! Thank you for sharing Rowan’s blessed entrance into this world. Love you all!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s